Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Learning to Be Child-Free

For 5 years, I have been resisting life without children. I have seen my infertility as a curse, a roadblock in the way of what "I was born to do," a punishment from God.

I have been trying to change my way of thinking. Maybe this child-free existence isn't all bad. Who am I to tell God when I am ready to be a mother? Obviously, he knows more than me. So, I am going to try to make the best of this situation by not making myself crazy and depressed anymore by thinking about the negative side to being child-free. Instead, I am going to think of the reasons I am glad to be child-free (at least for now.)

1. When I am trying to lose weight, I cannot have snacks in my house. Every parent I know has a kitchen stocked with snacks. If that was my kitchen, I would be 300 pounds!

2. I can't function without a full night's sleep.

3. I love to sleep past 6 a.m.

4. I can go where I want, when I want, without making sure the baby is dressed, fed, in a car seat, blah, blah, blah...

5. I can go out in public without constantly worrying that my kid is behaving or occupied.

6. My husband and I get along great! (I watch many marriages fall apart after children.)

7. I can get drunk without worrying that I might have to tend to my children later.

8. Teenagers. 'Nuff said.

9. I can get a shower or a bath alone.

10. I can have sex with my husband without watching the door 0r worrying that I will hear, "Mommy, what's daddy doing to you?"

11. I can make plans without first saying, "Let me see if I can get a sitter."


2 comments:

  1. BW - don't forget

    12. All the crack you want, and no pesky visits from Joan or Ottmar.

    ReplyDelete