Monday, April 19, 2010

Running

I have been running outside more lately. This is much different than running inside on my Wii. I ran a 5K on Sunday, and I was so proud of myself! I haven't run a race since high school, and I haven't run regularly since college. It feels so good to be obsessed over something other than my infertility.

Funny story: Friday, there were reports of a thunderstorm. As soon as I got home from work, I jumped in the car and drove to the bike trail (my favorite running spot as of late). I started running and the wind was blowing pretty hard. But I was determined to finish my run. So, I got to the spot that marks 1.5 miles from the start (my turn-around point), and it starts thundering. As I turn around, I hear trees crackling. "Uh-oh," I think, "My car is 1.5 miles away!!" So, I run faster than I have ever run (waaaay faster than I ran at the 5K.) The wind picks up, nearly carries me away, and I think, "Only I would get in this situation." The skies open up and it POURS. Trees are falling across the trail, branches are blowing and smacking me in the face... and I keep running. Then, I get back to my car and it slows down (of course.) So I get home, and our power is out! It was out the rest of the night! Now I am thankful I didn't get struck by lightning.

But, at the end of it all, I felt like a true runner. I like this little club. It is much more rewarding than being in the "infertile" club.


2 comments:

  1. Warrior..for real.

    That is kind of an awesome story. You're my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous. I have no excuse whatsover to be lazy.

    ReplyDelete